Should I bake with Cannabis Oil or Cannabis-Infused Oils?
Learn the differences between cooking with Cannabis Oil and Cannabis-Infused Oils.
What is the difference, anyway? Cannabis oil is the oil extracted from the actual cannabis plant. Cannabis-infused oils are things such as butter, canola oil, vegetable oil, or olive oil that’ve been infused with cannabis.
The answer simply depends on what you have available and what is your preference is. Any recipe can have a few drops of cannabis oil added to it – but for a price. Cannabis-infused oils are a little safer in regard to preserving the taste of your food.
If you’re new to cooking with cannabis, here are some pros and cons of cooking with each:
Pros of Cannabutter & Cannabis-Infused Oils:
- You can easily use a regular baking recipe and switch out the same amount of normal butter/vegetable oil/olive oil/canola oil for either cannabutter or an infused oil.
- The higher the fat content, the more cannabinoids that are absorbed into the butter/oil and ultimately into your confection. Yum!
- Cons of Cannabutter & Cannabis-Infused Oils:
- Regular cannabutter or oils might not be vegan or very health-conscious since higher fat content means better cannabinoid absorption.
Pros of Cannabis Oil:
- It’s easy to place a few drops into any recipe.
- You can measure the exact amount of cannabis oil you want for your recipe, making perfect serving sizes.
- Cons of Cannabis Oil:
- Cannabis oil is quick to change the taste of a recipe because of its high concentration. Don’t expect your confection to taste the same – it’ll have a slightly grassy flavor to it.
So if you’re like me, you’ll bake mostly with cannabis-infused oils. If the infused oils/butter don’t have a high enough THC or CBD percentage, you can use the oil/butter then add drops of cannabis oil too to get the right amount in your serving size. It might have a slight grassy taste, but not as profuse when using only cannabis oil. What do you prefer baking with? Share your experience in the comments – we love hearing your stories and tips!