Hytiva's 15 Families of Halloween: Cannabis Strains, Themes & Activities
Strains with names and effects perfect for Halloween events and activities.
Halloween-lovers across the nation are prepping for the holiday - putting up decorations, prepping feasts, planning parties, buying costumes... But for the ganja-lovers, another task is at hand: Finding a great strain for fun holiday activities. Listed below are 15 spooky families of strains not only with names that fit the season, but effects that can transcend the experiences you plan to have this dark holiday season.
The Ghost Family
Time for Scary Movie Night! This set of strains generally produces feelings of relaxation and stress-relief as most are indica or indica-leaning. This means you can sit back, watch scary movies, and easily allow the frightening visuals to entertain you until it's time for bed. Try not to have any nightmares...
- Ghost OG - Sweet & tropical, a citrusy sleepy relaxor.
- Space Ghost - Lavender, pine, and citrus clash together with a strong body stone.
- Ghost Dawg - Sweet limes hit your palette along with a soothing body stone that eases discomfort.
- Ghost Train Haze - An award-winner, expect a lemon-pine scent and taste with lots of giggles and creative haste.
The Frankenstein Family
These strains might awaken your appetite into a monstrous rampage for munchies! Despite being indica-leaning, these strains often allow consumers to experience a cerebral clarity other indicas lack. Try them out and see how much feast versus focus is enhanced in you.
- Frankenstein - With a taste reminiscent of mangoes, Frankenstein can increase hunger as well as introspection. What thoughts will come to life?
- Frankenberry - An indica with high levels of CBD, expect to feel like a slow-moving but fully relaxed, stress-free monster excited for creepy conversation.
The Killer Family
This is a family of hybrids... meaning you'll be hit with a cerebral high that's creative, focused and stress-free while simultaneously experiencing a body high that'll free you of pain or enhance pleasure. Plan on doing some intense Halloween crafts or engaging in deep and meaningful conversations with family and friends while sitting back and enjoying light tingling throughout your limbs.
- Lemon Killer Haze - This killer terpene profile is a potent skunk & lemon mix - expect to feel energetic!
- Killa Kush - Spicy but fruity, Killa Kush will kill your pains, in both body and mind, before helping you relax and focus.
- Killer Grape - Grape-lovers will love Killer Grape. You might feel a bit more relaxed, but not enough to skip peeling grapes and passing them off as eyes at your Halloween party.
- Star Killer - Enjoy watching your favorite Star Wars movies while consuming this award-winner. Some use it to calm PTSD, inflammation, or pain.
- Killer Queen - Luckily you won't be screaming "Off with their heads!" after smoking this strain, though its reference to Alice in Wonderland is a nice treat... or trick?
The Wizard Family
These few strains tend to keep your mind active while keeping your body at peace, eliminating a sour mood along with stress. Some like how these magical strains make them feel giggly.
- Dark Wizard - You'll feel comfortable using your own creative magic pursuing Halloween crafts or decorating with a creative kick.
- Blissful Wizard - This award-winner will have your tastebuds feeling blissful with a lemony-lime ice cream taste.
The Black Family
Many strains with "black" in their name often portray a darker color scheme - of deep violets and blues amongst their cured flowers. This usually means they're of an indica variety and often keep the consumer rested, happy, and ready for a long night full of bonfires and spooky stories.
- Black Poison - Its cured buds are mostly violet and caked with resin, hinting at its potency, able to improve nearly anyone's contaminated mood.
- Black Triangle - A triad of effects, resting the mind, body, and soul.
- Black Dahlia - Your fate is far better when trying this strain than the Black Dahlia's. A low THC level makes it a good choice for novice consumers.
- Black Betty - High THC and CBD levels make this hybrid sensational for nights filled with backyard bonfire fun.
- Black Widow - Another high THC strain, Black Widow has a surprisingly delicious terpene profile smelling of sweet berries and garden soil.
- Black Velvet - Buds brighter than other "black" family members, this one is sure to get creative juices flowing.
The Ogre Family
The heavy-hitting Ogre family is indica-dominant and might make you as hungry as one! Expect a sedating sensation and have your Halloween candy on-hand to satisfy the beast.
- Ogre - A powerful lemon-like aroma, this strain will leave you sleepy and hungry.
- Ogre OG - If a lazy ogre tried Ogre OG, he'd be couch-locked, introspective, and well-medicated.
- Ogre Berry - Sweet citrus and berries... Ogre Berry will have you giggly, hungry, and in need of a good conversation.
The Monster Family
This family is social, since its two main members tend to inspire creative conversation while keeping the body relaxed and stress-free.
- Monster OG - Conversations, laughs, creativity, a body buzz... you can't go wrong with this monster bud.
- Monster Cookies - Lounging, talking, and being free from the monsters of the day (AKA stress), Monster Cookies actually smells like cookies.
The Candy Family
Just as there are a multitude of different candies on the market, the variety of candy strains is vast. Both indica and sativa-dominant strains encompass this family, but all of them harbor an appealing scent or flavor for those keen on candies.
- Candy - A sweet and rare strain to find, you'll enjoy this one after your daily grind.
- Candy Kush - Nothing beats a kush strain to get rid of any and all banes.
- Candy Chem - You'll find the chemistry of this strain great for a creative leap and clear-headed shinanigans. Although its scent is rather chemical-y than candy-like.
- Sex Candy - Yes, this strain has been found to improve passionate responses with partners (for some)... but it's also great for a giggly time.
- Sour Candy - This trichome-rich strain is great for beginners with its lower THC levels and can help with migraines; headaches.
- Martian Candy - Maybe you'll need this strain for your eyes, maybe you'll need it for an anxiety-disguise, either way, this strain is out-of-this-world.
- Green Candy - With genetics from Candy Kush and Green Crack, energy is surely something you won't lack.
- Space Candy - You'll be alert enough to take notes on any new worlds or experiences you'll eventually be having.
- Purple Candy - These colorful buds are violet-hued and often induce couch-lock.
- Alien Rock Candy - This strain might create waves of euphoria, energy, and creativity so long as you keep your environment in-check.
The Blood Family
These two strains are covered with colorful "veins" and are great for any Halloween event or activity that requires your attention and some energy to get you through the night.
- Blue Blood - These cured buds are a colorful array of what cannabis can do appearance-wise.
- Blood Drive - You'll find red "veins" in these buds' purple flowers. Expect to be immediately uplifted like a vampire that just scored a second meal.
The Poison Family
There are many forms of poisons out there... From those that kill you in an instant to those that take years to finally run you down. Like the diversity of true poisons out there, the Poison cannabis family is just as diverse, creating waves of varied effects that can either calm or heighten your senses, thoughts, or energy.
- Black Poison - The alluring violet buds of this strain look deadly, but they usually produce energy and focus for those interested in enhancing their Halloween craft night.
- Green Poison - Green is far different than black... consumers like how this strain sedates, so try it out if you're about to fall into nightmareland... I mean dreamland (actually, some have used cannabis to rid themselves of nightmares/terrors for better sleep).
- Poison OG - This OG will make you feel like an experienced OG as it keeps the mind calm and places your body in rest-mode.
- Durban Poison - This classic strain is renowned for a burst of energy and sociability. It's labeled the "espresso" strain so if you need to recharge before going to a Halloween party, this strain might just do the trick.
- Red Poison - Like Green Poison, Red Poison can relax, but not fully sedate unless you allow it to. If you're about to have a lazy evening of passing out candy, you could do it using this strain.
- OG Poison - Whatever the event or project, you might find that OG Poison will help you in keeping you focused though with less pain, aches, or anxiety.
The Zombie Family
Make a bonfire, chill with company and have some silly convos, eat up some s'mores or candy... The Zombie strains were meant for social occasions, eating, and drinking the night way as all your worries melt away.
- Blue Zombie - Emitting a skunky-coffee-like scent, you'll feel a bit hazy like a zombie but still be able to have fun nevertheless.
- Zombie Kush - With its diverse genetics, you might feel an array of effects from relaxation to focus to sociability to lethargy. Perfect for perhaps, a bonfire with s'mores and a scary story or two?
- White Zombie - You can rock out with White Zombie while trying the strain White Zombie. Get ready for an energy boost, a warming body buzz, and stress-relief.
- Zombie OG - You'll get hungry for sure with Zombie OG. Get ready for a spooktacular feast.
The Jack Family
Jack tends to be a popular name during Halloween. It goes without saying that these two Jack strains are named perfectly for a Halloween party serving cannabis.
- Jack the Ripper - As a diverse hybrid, you might want to experiment with this one before deciding which Halloween activity you want to tackle. Such is the way of meddling with Jack the Ripper.
- Jack Skellington - Mind-body relaxation coupled with cerebral euphoria. Great for looking at pumpkin carvings and enjoying the arts of Halloween - even a showing of "The Nightmare Before Christmas".
The Voodoo Family
The dark magic of cannabis might be found in Voodoo strains... Or merely an energy boost accompanied with a body or mind buzz. Either way, these strains are enticingly ominous (not really).
- Voodoo - Searching for a pure sativa? Search no more. A low THC count makes it a choice strain for novice consumers and its effects are tingling, immediate, and mildly energetic with a bit of enhanced creativity in case you were planning on doing a ritual.
- Purple Voodoo - A brain buzz and a body buzz? You'll know after you try this colorful strain. It'll make your mouth salivate with its terpene profile smelling of berries and grapes.
The Diablo Family
This family is surprisingly good for being bad. Any activity needing focus could be enhanced with these, and their scent/flavor are phenomenal.
- Diablo - The parent strains of this evil-sounding one aren't nearly as sinister. A combo of Grapefruit and Blueberry, it's enticing aromatically.
- Purple Diablo - This indica strain is a bit deceiving as for some it's helped the mind focus rather than sedate.
The Devil Family
Once upon a time cannabis was labeled the "Devil's Lettuce". We now know that this was absurd. Nevertheless, a little family of devils has arisen, and they're going to make you feel heavenly.
- Devil's Lettuce - You might recognize old-school movies or posters using the term "Devil's Lettuce", but by no means would the devil have any use for such a Godsend-medicine. Unless he's hyped for Halloween, then he might be down to try it.
- Devil Fruit - This rare strain is similar to Devil's Lettuce, often producing a psychotropic high, though you might become a little sleepy too.
Don't Forget These...
Oh - and let's not forget about these guys (dare I say more cultivators should name their strains after superheroes/villians?):
Harlequin - A sweet mango-scented strain, you'll be feeling fine in no time.
Green Goblin - Unlike a villian, your mind will be bombarded with giggles and a stress-free attitude.
Jock Horror - You'll be shockingly ready to get everything done in a day. No stone will lay unturned.
What Strain Do You Prefer for Halloween Activities and Events?
Whatever your preferred Halloween activity for the night might be, there's bound to be a complimentary strain that will improve or enhance your experience. Once you're determined to see what it's like going to a haunted house under the influence of a hybrid or seeing if an indica helps you relax in watching that scary movie, you'll begin to taste the treats ganja has to offer in making your Halloween a memorable one.
Tell us which strain you've tried for a fun Halloween activity or event in the comments below!